Friday, September 22, 2006

challah back

One of Jim's coworkers very kindly brought us a challah from Cambridge for Rosh Hashanah.

I am particularly enjoying the fact that Rosh Hashanah coincides with the first day of autumn -- the juxtaposition feels quite lovely that way. For the first time, I am inclined to make a big holiday feast, even though it's just the two of us here to eat it.

Of course, I refuse to get anywhere near my grandfather's preferred New Year's celebratory food, but I am thinking about an apple-rum cake and a honey-glazed roast chicken. Gotta have that sweet New Year, after all.

Is cultural heritage an excuse to cook? Given that my husband and I come from Jewish, Italian, and German backgrounds, I'd have to go with a resounding "Hell yeah!" on that one.

L'shanah tovah.

No comments: