Saturday, June 14, 2008

dinner conversation à la dorks

Scene: My husband and I are discussing the Hollywood-centric lives of friends.

Me: "I wish I were in that sphere."

Jim: "I'm sorry."

Me: "Oh, that wasn't meant to malign you. Just a thing. And besides, I am. Because of {friend's name redacted}."

Jim: "Yes. You are in the penumbra.

Me: {weird look} "Yes. I ... am in the penumbra."

{beat}

Me: "What does that word mean in law terms?"

Jim: "It ... what do you mean? How did you know it's a law thing?"

Me: "Because it essentially is Latin for 'shadow' and so ..."

Jim: "OK. It means things sort of vaguely outside the limits of a ruling, so if the ruling falls here {makes sphere shape with hands} and you're just here {slightly larger sphere shape} then you're in the penumbra."

{beat}

Me: "So you see how it comes to mean this."

Jim: "Yeah, and you're right, I only know this from law stuff."

{beat}

Jim: "We're smart."

Me: "Well, I don't know about that signaling "smart" per se. I just know Latin."

Jim: "Yeah, but there are a lot of people who don't remember their Latin so long after they graduated high school."

Me: {glare}

Jim: "I mean ... eleven years after ... You're ... I love you?"

Win: Me.

No comments: