Monday, April 03, 2006

canon fodder

The newly redesigned New York Times had an article today about the amateur short videos hosted on YouTube and the online phenomenon they have helped create.

One of the videos referenced in the article is called "Guitar" and is five minutes of electric-guitar virtuosity set over an electrified arrangement of Pachelbel's "Canon in D."

I have never been a huge fan of the "Canon." It's a lovely but vastly overplayed piece of music, particularly at weddings. (I guess it's easy to walk to?) I was so anti-"Canon" in terms of our own wedding that I did not even consider using it. Then again, Jim and I are fantastically geeky, so we chose:

"Wedding March," W. A. Mozart, Le Nozze de Figaro (groom's and attendants' processional).
"Brightly Dawns our Wedding Day," A. S. Sullivan, The Mikado (bride's processional).
"Overture" to H. M. S. Pinafore, A. S. Sullivan (recessional).

But I have to admit, as cliched as the "Canon" can be, if this guy had been available to rock out for the wedding? It just might have been worth it.

No comments: