Saturday, February 25, 2006

sick and wrong

I'm coming down with something.

I'm still not entirely sure what it will be. All yesterday I was tired, my throat hurt, and I had a vague headache. This morning I woke up and my voice was entirely gone, which often occurs when I'm coming down with a cold, but it had returned by the time I started proctoring in New Hampshire.

This afternoon I'm just tired, although the throat and head are both moderately annoying. Right now, neither one wants to take the lead on actually escalating the stand-off. Neither one wants to take that first step out of the lunar lander, plant a flag in me, and claim me for God and country.

I sort of feel as though I'm a babysitter in the kitchen making macaroni and cheese. I can hear the two siblings upstairs "playing," which really means "coming closer and closer to one shoving the other headfirst into the wall," and I'm half-wondering which one is going to win before I have to go up there and pry them apart.

In any case, I'm Zicam-ing it up and chugging down Vitamin C like there's no tomorrow, even though that regimen sort of makes everything taste like I didn't quite get all the tin foil off my gum. Whatever -- as I learned pre-wedding, it's a great way to lose weight.

(For those readers who are, well, my mother: Just kidding! Really! Absolutely a joke!)

However, I refuse to bail on the plans we made with good friends tonight, so before I head out, I leave you with the most fantastic result ever of a Google image search. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain the copy on this product -- contrary, I assume, to the actual purpose -- indicates that the contents want to infect you rather than cure you.

Which, since at least I wouldn't be in "what will hurt next?" limbo, doesn't sound so bad.

2 comments:

Torie said...

WHAT?!?! with the Zicam and Vitamin C?

Unknown said...

So I got this horrendous cold a couple weeks before the wedding, and was on a strict regimen of Zicam, which makes everything taste nasty. Add to that the pre-wedding stress, and you come out with the fact that I probably did not force-feed myself the way I should have.

See? A joke. Which, now that I've had to explain it, isn't even remotely any good.