Monday, February 06, 2006

they say he carved it himself...from a bigger spoon

Yesterday, while I was making the chili (which really was quite delicious, and I'm going to make more soon), I asked Jim if we could put on some Simpsons DVDs.

"Sure," he replied (the answer to that question is really never "No"). "Which one?"

"Well," I said, "I think 'Lisa the Greek' would be appropriate."

Such is the name of the episode wherein Lisa helps Homer gamble on football, and it seemed right for SuperBowl Sunday.

After he got over his awe that I knew the name of the episode -- a fact you can only find out by (a) reading episode guides on Springfield Nuclear Power Plant's site, (b) listening to the commentary on the DVD, which we have done, or (c) reading TiVo's guide, which names the episodes most of the time it shows them -- he got out the correct DVD and queued it up.

"You know," he mused, "there's one other episode we really should be watching today, if only we had it."

"Not that horrible one where they go to the SuperBowl," I groaned.

"No," he said. "You know which one..."

"Ah! The chili cook-off! My favorite episode ever!" I crowed.

"You got it," Jim replied.

It must have been a good karma day. Guess what's on right now?

I love the Simpsons. (Oh, and: Rest in peace, Johnny Cash. No one better to be Homer's spirit guide.)

No comments: