Tuesday, January 10, 2006

birthday dinner

Jim and I are going out tonight to celebrate my birthday, just a little belatedly.

After all the traveling over the holidays, I certainly wasn't up for a big night out on the birthday proper, so we were going to go this past Saturday (which could have served as a from-afar celebration of my father's birthday!).

However, the weekend was a little dark and snowy and we spent all day Saturday digging through our storage areas to clean them up, and after all that we just wanted to stay in with homemade food, some wine, and the copy of Ray we got from Netflix about a month prior and hadn't yet watched (...heh).

As you can tell, it takes a lot to get us to a restaurant these days.

Don't get me wrong: I still love to eat out. I love just to go out, with my husband, and have a wonderful intimate evening. We've not been out to a restaurant since December 26, which was with my folks; the last time we were out, just the two of us, had to have been just after the wedding.

There just happens to be something wonderful about making dinner at the end of a long, cold, dark Maine winter day, I guess, and so that's what we've been doing. I do happen to make pretty damn good eats.

Tonight we'll kick up our heels, though. I'm thinking the occasion warrants my Seven jeans with gray suede stiletto-heeled Ralph Lauren boots, yes? A glass or two of wine, a fantastic dinner at 555, and just one of those great moments when we get to pretend anything we want.

Some nights, that's what it's all about.


No comments: