Friday, January 13, 2006

go go gadget wallet: empty!

The people at Williams-Sonoma are clearly out to rob me blind.


I have received several e-mails in the past few days, alerting me to the amazing savings going on at my beloved local Williams-Sonoma retail paradise.


And sure, I admit it -- 75% off sounds like a good deal. In principle, it is a good deal.

But when I walk in, are they going to have my non-stick mini-muffin pan on sale? Or, for that matter, anything that's actually in my budget?

Not bloody likely.

Rather, they're first going to attempt to sell me this portable ice-cube maker, which I can't for the life of me fathom as a truly useful item, even at the wildly discounted price of$369.99.


Then, when I try to run from the salespeople bearing tasty homemade gingerbread, I will be tempted by the entirely dishwasher-safe All-Clad Stainless Steel Completer Set, which I don't need only because I have a full set of Calphalon pots and pans, but which calls to me with its shiny, shiny wonderfulness. It's ability to brown things with amazing speed and uniformity. And did I mention it's dishwasher-safe?


I mustn't give in. No, Dr. Stainless-Steel Pasta Claw. You have met your match.

No comments: